This tutorial from Kaboose's blog couldn't be easier, more fun, or cheaper! Three things that we just love in any craft.
What you'll need:
- Cupcake/muffin tin
- Non-toxic broken crayons
- Vegetable oil
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Remove all the paper labels from crayon pieces. (Please check to make sure they are non-toxic crayons.)
- Put ¼ teaspoon of vegetable oil into each muffin pan cup, no cup liners needed.
- You will use the equivalent of 4 new crayons for each cup. Place broken crayons (no longer than an inch each) into the muffin pan. This will fill the cup about 1/3 full.
- Place into the preheated oven and watch carefully, they melt quickly!
- Bake crayons for 8 minutes or so.
- When the crayons begin to melt, remove them from the oven and stir gently with a toothpick.
- Crayon will look “ugly” and the colors may appear blended too much. Don’t worry! They look much better on the other side.
- Let the crayons cool completely.
- Once cooled, pop the crayons out of the muffin pan by tapping on the backside of the pan. Crayons should fall right out.
- If you have any new crayons available, use one as a measuring stick. Lay broken crayon pieces along side of the new crayon to measure out 4 full sized crayons. This is how many you will need for each completed chunky crayon.
- Be sure to use extreme caution around kitchen utensils and the oven. Always use oven mitts and do not stick you fingers into the melted crayons.
- If you don’t have any broken crayon pieces, you can buy a large box of cheap crayons at the Dollar Store.